Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The Rebrand

-Jillian Raposo


As some of you may know, my business was first called “Pretty Peacock”. It was a name that originated from an experience that took me to where I am today. Unfortunately, there was some trademark issues with the name and it was being used and under protection by another business owner. I thought my career came to an end when I was informed that it needed to be changed. I was so discouraged and so overwhelmed by the work that it would take to start over. Although it’s just “a name” it’s a lot of other things as well. It’s a brand, its what people associate you with, it’s something that took a lot of time and effort to get out there. Along with the fact that it’s also on business cards, t shirts, and all my marketing material! It brought me to a really dark place as a business owner. It made me almost feel like, I knew it was too good to be true that the business was going so well from the beginning. Picking out a new name seemed nearly impossible for the reason that everything I liked was trademarked. And I sure as heck didn’t want to go through that again! With some time and LOTS of patience, new ideas slowly started to emerge. With all the hard work, determination, and passion that has gone into creating my business, it only seemed appropriate to give myself a little credit and use my name in the business name. So where did “M.E.” come from, you ask? I have to give my husband credit for that one. He thought it would be a great idea to call it “make up by me”. It was simple, to the point, and cute. The only problem once again, became trademark issues. So after thinking of ways around that, it resulted in “M.E.” which has so much possibility. It stood for “ME” and it could also stand for two other words as well. That’s where “Makeup Excellence” emerged. Slowly but surely, the pieces of the puzzle were starting to come together and the ball got rolling towards rebranding. With a new name, came new ideas. Ideas for a new logo, new website, photo shoot, etc. Although the process of “rebranding” seemed impossible and discouraging it now became exciting. Everything this time around became such a reflection of ME. It was more my style, more professional, and more mature. It made me realize that I’ve grown as an artist, and so has my business. At the end of this journey, it has become very clear to me that everything happens for a reason. As mad as I was at the woman that made me have to change everything, I now want to thank her. This process has made me a much stronger person and business owner and has taught me to never give up.

“Things don’t go wrong and break your heart so you can become bitter and give up. They happen to break you down and build you up so you can be all that you were intended to be.”
~Charlie Jones~

No comments:

Post a Comment