Thursday, December 18, 2014

Has beauty become an unrealistic expectation?


-Jill Raposo
Let me just start off by saying,  I love the Kardshians. They're stylish, beautiful, and entertaining. But have they taken the idea of beauty too far??

Kim has opened the doors for curvy girls to embrace their curves and for that I am thankful. That was all good and dandy until her butt kept growing and her waist kept shrinking to an unachievable state. Regardless of whether it's a result of hard work or surgery what I don't get is why it's gets taken even further and photoshopped. More and more celebrities have been found guilty of photoshopping their own selfies when there's no need for it!



Kylie Jenner has made her mark in the world for her now famous "plump lips". How she achieves them is the mystery everyone's has been dying to know. Some speculate that it's lip injections or fillers while she claims that it's just a result of overdrawn lip liner. As a result of this Kylie lip craze, girls have been overdrawing their lips, using lip plumping devices, and even getting injections to "keep up with the Kardashians".



I get it! This is why they are successful and how they make their money. But what I don't like is the fact that it makes being beautiful almost unachievable now a days. Beauty is now being defined by perfect bushy arched brows, long thick hair, high cheekbones, plump lips, a tiny waist, and a big ass. The influence these girls have had has spread like wildfire.

It never seemed to bother me until I've realized that it's affecting the makeup world tremendously! Makeup has now gone beyond just the makeup. The instagram girls I've been following for years have all morphed into Kardashian look a likes!  It started with the famous Kim K. contour which I love, but has slowly morphed into so much more, and photoshop to top it all off! In every instagram photo I look at they have super plump lips, high cheeks, and lashes for days. And these girls are posting selfies on a daily basis! It makes you think, are they getting ready all day just to take a picture and then spending a bunch of time afterwards to edit it?  I say this by no means to be a "hater" or out of jealousy BY ANY MEANS. I'm confident in who I am and have no interest in becoming anyone else. I simply bring the issue up to concentrate on the fact that real beauty has been taken over by artificial beauty.

It pains me when a client brings me an instagram photo of makeup. Although I love recreating a look I cannot give you high cheekbones, plump lips, and bushier brows without you looking totally overdone in person. People don't realize the these pictures have been severely altered and enhanced to look picture perfect. This is something that Nicole and I have stuggled with as artists for a long time. We are constantly trying to recreate these "instagram" looks and once we think we've got it we take a picture and it's not even close. Even with a great camera and lighting there's just no way to make it "picture perfect" without enhancements. That is one of the reasons why I don't post a lot of makeup looks on instagram. There's just no point! I will not succumb to photoshop and if you're looking at my work and another artist that does use photoshop you're just going to think they're better.

I just wish people would be themselves and be proud of it. It would make young girls grow up with less bullying, more realistic expectations, and less emphasis on the unimportant things in life. Life isn't about spending all day in the mirror and taking selfies all day. It's about enjoying the people and experiences around you. Life is short, so don't make it even shorter by cluttering it with unrealistic expectations.

Beauty comes from within, the outside is just a bonus ;)

Comment below with your opinion! Do celebrities influence your idea of beauty?


No comments:

Post a Comment