Monday, March 2, 2015

Why are you so expensive?!

(This goes for myself and my team)

Every now and again there is always that message in the inbox that makes me cringe. It's the message that says, "Hello! You're work is AMAZING! I've followed you for a while now and would love to have you do the makeup for my weddings. The only thing is your pricing is too expensive!! Can we negotiate the pricing? If not, I'll have to find someone else."

Where do I begin.... 

First off. Yes, my work is amazing. Why? For the following reasons:

  • Myself and my team are beyond passionate about what we do and spend countless hours and money on our education to stay current with trends. 
  • Our kits are fully stocked with the top name brands such as MAC, Makeup Forever, Bobbi Brown, etc.
  • I don't just show up to your house with a caboodle. I bring over a $1000 studio into your home and make you feel like a complete celebrity. I come equipped with a lighted vanity table, stand alone lighting, a makeup artist chair, and a high quality camera (to make sure your makeup looks great on camera).
  • I'm more than just a makeup artist to my clients. I am your friend and therapist on your wedding day. I don't just apply the makeup and call it a day. I make sure I keep a smile on your face and your worries at ease the entire time you are getting your glam on :) 

My responsibilities for your wedding...
  • Constant email & phone correspondence
  • Creating wedding timelines
  • Restocking my kit 
  • Brush cleaning & sanitizing in between clients
  • Packing and unpacking before & after 
  • Travel to and from site
  • Lastly, the makeup application
Unless you'd like me to limit you to 1 email, do 1 of your eyes instead of both, and not clean my brushes I do not see the need for a negotiation. I will ALWAYS allow my work to speak for itself and hold my worth. This is not a hobby it is a job and how I contribute to my family. I understand that weddings can be super expensive and it's in our nature to try to cut costs where we can but please don't let it be on your FACE! Your face is what is going to be the first thing (besides the dress) that people see when you walk down that aisle and for the rest of the day. It will be in EVERY picture and will be the memory in your future. 

I got married 6 years ago before I did makeup professionally and had a horrible experience!!! The makeup artist I had was probably $35 and used the worst products. My makeup came out horrible and I had to wash it off as soon as I got home. I had one of my bridesmaids do the best she could in the short time we had left. Til' this day I will not enlarge any of my pictures because of how unhappy I was. 

I'm not writing this to say you should book me. I'm writing to bring awareness to the fact that you're not just paying for a makeup application. You are paying for an entire experience. So when you are shopping for your makeup artist keep in mind that we are not all created equally therefore we should not all have the same pricing. We have specific pricing for a reason and I am a firm believer that you always get what you pay for. 

You decide...





No comments:

Post a Comment